So I was lucky enough to get my hands on some of the honey a bunch of my homebrew club members went in on. I got a gallon of wildflower honey.
Since the honey was crystalized, and I got it in a Lowes bucket, I decided I would heat my honey up and pasteurize it. Transferring it from the bucket was fun, but I thought up a good system that worked. I boiled a little water in a pan, and dipped my metal spoon in it to heat it up. Then the hot spoon scooped out the honey easily into another pan.
The pan I used for heating the spoon now contained a liquid that tasted too good to go to waste, so I poured it into some jars with tea bags to make a honey tea. I also rinsed out all containers that had honey in them with the hot tea later.
I bloomed two packets of US-05 in a pint of apple juice straight from the container.
So I heated up 8 pounds of the wildflower honey in a big double boiler formed by two stainless steel pots. I got the honey up to 170ish by the time it all liquified.
While the honey heated up, I dumped 1/2 of four of the apple juice 1/2 gallon containers into the fermenter. The other halves got shook up with the 1# of brown sugar split between them. Lots of aeration. The remaining four apple juice containers were half emptied and each remaining half shook up before being dumped in the fermenter. Once the honey was liquified, in it went too and I used my new 24″ stainless steel whisk to mix it up good. Yeast went in with the first 1/3 of the staggered yeast nutrient schedule, then it went down to my fermentation chamber set at 65F.
I liquified the additional honey from the gallon.
I woke up to a nice foamy krausen on the must today.
8# wildflower honey
4 gallons apple juice Ascorbic Acid the only preservative
Staggered Yeast Nutrient Schedule