Saison? Funky Belgian Pale? Wareham Common?

Bonuses are nice. Bonus beers are even nicer. We did our Partigyle yesterday. I’ve been thinking about doing a Kentucky Common using the sourmash method, full grain bill for 24 hours. So I thought, why not with these mashes where we shot for low efficiency and got better but not great efficiency…there has to be sugars left. So Greg decided to give it a shot. He tossed in two more pounds (minus a few ounces lost to the floor yet again) and some Brett culture. I just tossed mine whole bag with the hop sock into a cooler and heated water up to 160F. I got about 1.5 gallons in. Throughout the day I lost some of that. My cooler cover has a hole in the top where steam collected inside the cover then drained out the drain hole along the side. A bit of a mess. New cooler feature found, lesson learned. Today I opened the cooler and man did it smell funky! Here’s what I did with it:

5 gallons of water heated to 170F
Lifted grain bag out of cooler and put in pot. Poured the wort on top of that.
Dumped the 5 gallons of 170F water over the top of the grains.
Let that sit for 15 minutes.
Pulled out the bag and squeezed as hard as I could.
Brought to a boil and added the following:

  • .5 oz East Kent Goldings hops for 60 minutes
  • 1 bottle Working Man’s Pale Ale funked beer for 45 minutes
  • Immersion chiller and Irish Moss for 15 minutes
  • .5 oz crushed coriander for 10 minutes
  • 3 oz orange marmalade for 10 minutes
  • .5 oz crushed grains of paradise for 10 minute
  • US-05 rehydrated when wort reached 70F

I ended up with an OG of 1.031 (very sweet and spicy).

Here is the Tripel. It blew up into the airlock. This is 5 gallons in a 6 gallon carboy. I added the blowoff tube and that seems to help some. It is still rapid fire like popcorn. This is a little cooler than I wanted at about 58-60F but the yeast seems happy. I’ll let it go for another day or two like this then add in sugar and bring it upstairs to ramp up in temperature as it wishes.

This is my Graff. It also decided to get enthusiastic today. It already had the blowoff on it because I know these are pretty vigourous fermenters. But it still blew the stopper off and spilled some down the side. It has now died down in foam but it is super rapid fire bubbling in the blowoff tube. This one has the aquarium heater keeping it around 62F.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: